First I just want to say how big 2016 was for the Unearthed platform. Sooooooooooo0oooo many great artists – Tash Sultana is set to take the whole bloody world by storm this year, Amy Shark will top the Hottest 100 if Instagram hashtags are anything to go by, and Hannahband were doing their bit to help Burn It Down.
I want to give some honourable mentions:
- Alex the Astronaut, who I found out about way too late in the game (apologies) but who is an amazing artist. ‘Already Home’ is amazing.
- Lostkeyz, a young hip hop artist whose track ‘Horror Stories’ made me think there are going to big things coming from his corner in 2017.
- nyck – who made the most amazing duet of the year. ‘Decision’ still gives me the chills every time.
- Confidence Man, whose track ‘Boyfriend’ made me laugh so much and also made an appearance in some IKEA ads. Well done guys!
- jacob – what can I say but you’re so cool
- Elli Schoen, who belted out some amazing tracks like ‘Mumma’ and ‘Hard Heart’
- Azura – ‘Midnight’ is absolutely superb.
- Georgia Mae – ‘Time With You’ made my top ten list for the Hottest 100. (I know it wasn’t the top ten here, but that’s because I’m being cheeky and sharing the love)
- The Tapes – ‘You Know It’s Real’ is great ‘un
- Nussy – I love groovin’ to ‘Just Just’
- I’ve probably missed out on more of my faves this year but these mentions alone show how hard it was for me to pick a top 10.
Now for my number one pick this year. She’s the wonderful, the up and coming, the Unearthed High winner who’s already been recording new music in the US and wowing concert-goers at her live shows. Yes, it’s Gretta! #TeamGretta
#1 Drive – Gretta Ray
I was instantly taken aback by this song when I heard it being played on triple j. I still remember I was sweating away at the gym and thinking, ‘Shit, this track is amazing’. Gretta Ray has gone from heights to greater heights this year. Her Elsewhere EP was released in February, then she went on to win Unearthed High, and from there recorded another stunning track ‘Unwind’. It’s a new year and don’t think anything will be stopping her rise now. All the best for 2017, Gretta! Your music is nothing short of bliss.